08 January 2013

Beyond the mind there is no suffering

Pain is physical; suffering is mental. Beyond the mind there is no suffering. Pain is merely a signal that the body is in danger and requires attention. Similarly, suffering warns us that the structure of memories and habits, which we call the person (vyakti), is threatened by loss or change. Pain is essential for the survival of the body, but none compels you to suffer. Suffering is due entirely to clinging or resisting; it is a sign of our unwillingness to move on, to flow with life.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing, i have been looking for a while where this sutra is coming from. is it the book of charaka sutra 57? for i am using this wisdom for my thesus about holistic insight of breastcancer ayurvedic style. I am grateful my uncle guided me to this page. Namaste Esnadi at restore your life
    thank you for sharing, i have been looking for a while where this sutra is coming from. is it the book of charaka sutra 57? for i am using this wisdom for my thesus about holistic insight of breastcancer ayurvedic style. I am grateful my uncle guided me to this page. Namaste Esnadi
    at restore your life fb page
    https://www.facebook.com/ayurvedarestoreyourlife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esnadi, this is a quote from the book 'I Am That' which is a translated collection of dialogues with Nisargadatta from the 1980's

    ReplyDelete